Spam and Pine

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:42:32PM -0500, Duane Morin wrote:
> I've always been a fan of pine.  As long as I can get an ssh window to
> my home machine, I can get mail.  The major downside to Pine relative to
> the rest of the world is that it's not a POP client.
>
> So I want to do something about my spam problem.  But everything I look
> at seems to have the same formula -- point your pop client at this spam
> filter which will act as a proxy.
>
> Is there a good anti-spam solution that works in such a way that
> something like Pine, which periodically moves my mail form
> /var/spool/mail to $HOME/mbox (only while it is open), could use?

Yes, and it works with any email client.

Do what I do: chase the bastards down and hound them out of their
websites, get their accounts cancelled, get their proxies blocked,
and have them so mad they can't see straight.

In about two weeks, you'll be on every "don't send mail to this guy"
list - the spammers prize them even more than the "cancellation" lists
they buy from each other - and your spam count will drop to one or two
a week.

Then, open up a few "sock puppet" addresses, just to collect spam, and
join the Lumber Cartel (tinlc) so you can be part of a long-term and
viable solution.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill Horne

"I'm not SPEWS: I just say I am so I can pick up chicks in biker bars"
                                          The Roadie