(no subject)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:21:15PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> ron.peterson at yellowbank.com writes:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:05:22PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> What is your definition of "free"?
> >
> > Everyone seems to have their own personal Jesus these days.  And
> > likewise with the definition of free.  It's not that complicated.  Just
> > look the word up in a dictionary:
>
> I did.  My definition is quite longer than your (or at least I'm
> willing to not cut out some potentially irrelevant or complicating
> definitions that don't happen to quite make my point).  However in my
> case it DOES make my point..  There are many definitions of "free".

Sure there are.  But in the context of the discussion, most are moot.
It takes a pretty sophisticated argument to make the point that
bitkeeper is 'free software'.  Yes, you don't have to pay for it.
That's one definition of free.  But it's not the definition in common
parlance in the software world.  I'm sure you know that.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\