RedHat Enterprise Linux

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Iadonisi" <pri.blu at iadonisi.to>

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 20:17, Bill Horne wrote:
> > TWIMC,
> >
> > The "Industrial" version of RedHat, called "Enterprise Linux", is
being
> > distributed on a subscription basis for prices starting at
$179/year.
[snip]
> > I suggest we (those of us agonizing over what to do when RH9 is
dropped)
> > compile the software and distribute it as a BLU linux varient.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22White%20Box%20Enterprise%20Linux%22

Paul,

Thanks: that's an excellent site.

Some notes from the above page:

"Red Hat DID NOT build RHEL3 from the published srpms. Period, end of
story. They didn't even build taroon from it's source. Openssl's srpm
does not build the same binaries as the ones supplied in taroon and it
is the same srpm as the one in RHEL3. I'm porting in a copy from fedora
which builds correctly. Plus the package set is not self sufficient to
actually build itself, several additional srpms need to be tracked down.
Intentional GPL violation or carelessness? I'm reporting, You decide."

If true, 'tis pity, 'tis pity, 'tis true.  IMNSHO, RH has abandoned
those like me who advanced its brand and supported its entry into the
corporate market place, and now that that brand is established, and even
considered to be a proprietary product separate from Linux, well, some
animals are more equal than others.

Let me be the first to say it: this is sad. I've seen reports that RH is
charging "onerous" per-seat licensing fees for "their" operating system,
and I can't help but think they've stooped to using Fear, Uncertainty,
and Doubt to extract money from corporations that don't know any better.

I withdraw my suggestion. With due credit to the Beauregard Parish
Library, it's a faustian quest to try and build a distro where the GPL
licensee doesn't obey the license. Since (as has already been posted)
others with more knowledge than I are switched to Debian, I'm going to
follow suit.

Meet the nex boss: same as the old boss.

Bill Horne