quick note on Fedora

I didn't even notice that problem since I just avoided using the
add/remove software completely.  I didn't want to have to get the CDs from
my office in order to add packages, so I've been using yum, which is
configured by default.

yum install packagename

Of course, at that point, you need to know what package you want.  That's
not always the case.  They should really add yum support into "add/remove
software" so that you can have the option of installing from the net
rather than from a CD.