How to put together a home computer with GNU/Linux

nmeyers at javalinux.net wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:12:33AM -0500, Don Saklad wrote:
>
>>a. What hardware manufacturers components would you look to
>>   in assembling a home computer with GNU/Linux ?...
>

> You're not building a PC to save money, I hope. Manufacturing costs are
> so low and the market so competitive, that it's generally cheaper to
> buy a built system.

Cheaper in $ for a total home system from scratch. The cost savings from
high-volume manufacturers are the greatest on bundled, new systems.

But the total cost over longer periods of time might be a different
story. It depends on the person's computer needs. Buying a new system
for system upgrade, when you're really looking at evolutionary upgrades
that can use components that you're already happy with, is not going to
be cheaper. Never mind the more important benefits of customization and
control that come with building your own machine.

Steve