Bad timing

Luc de Louw wrote ;)

9.4. Testing the IMAP functionality

A lot of users like to test the cyrus-IMAPd with the Command Line Interface (CLI) ?cyradm? and they are failing. To be successful with cyradm, you will need to add the cyrus user to /etc/sasldb2 because ?cyradm? always authenticates against SASL AND IMAP.

To add the Cyrus user to the sasldb use the command:

saslpasswd2 -c cyrus
Password: (enter your passwd)
Again (for verification): (enter your password)

To use the ?cyradm? CLI please take care that the tool does not recognize standard CLI-options like -u and similar. Please follow the syntax like described in the man page ?cyradm 1? like the following example:

bond:~ # cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost --auth plain
Password: # This is the SASL2 password
IMAP Password: # This is the IMAP password that you need to enter in the mysql-table ?accountusers?
localhost>

With the Cyrus command help you will see all possible commands and its abbreviations.
----
I hope this helps a little, the howto (postfix-cyrus-etc-ect)
I was using redhat/sendmail/WU and opted to go to debian/postfix/cyrus for various reasons. Let me kow how your install works out, I scrapped my server (it was only functional for a week), and now I am waiting for my debian to finish downloading (adsl off-on-off-on) but thankfully I used wget which recovers the download.
Anyhow, I had tried it on redhat9 but in the end the cyrus imap compile complained (after various rpm -e commands in order to scare out redhat's mandatory install of openssl.)
The tutorial is excellent and I was about 90% done when I gave up trying to figure out whether redhat's previous install or my fearless (is that the right word?) uninstalls was complicating the process.
I got about 99% of the way through the make, when I would get errors about missing files, I was successful at linking some but I gave up feeling I might be better off with exploring a different distro.

Good Luck, and please post your results... I will be installing mine as soon as debian finishes.