A distribution bytes the dust!

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:17:49PM -0500, Bob Keyes wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>
> What's un-nice about it is that the stable releases are lacking a lot of
> things, such as support for 802.11 cards, and that certain things have

Haven't noticed that using Lucent/Orinoco cards. What were you using?

> remained broken, such as a problem with old, isa based pcmcia adapters.

Again, no problem with the two (unnamed, but both using Intel chips)
that I've used.

> Another bad thing is the bloatware -- why a server has to have all this
> crud related to X11 I do not know. And emacs -- don't mean to get in a

My mail server has no X on it at all.

> religious war here but why is this in the default install? There are also

It's not. It's in an optional package list, which you should have had
presented to you along the way.

I know this because I keep installing emacs after-the-fact for people
who come up to me and ask why it isn't there.

> some real problems with a clunky install, with package collisions (mtr and
> mtr-tiny) resolvable just by doing the default thing, but unnerving.
>
> I think that the debian project needs a dose of project philosophy, and
> here's mine:

Good. Join the project, wield influence proportional to your effort.

-dsr-