A distribution bytes the dust!

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 06:40, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> Mandrake, anyone?  A little Debian, perhaps?  RedHat's going away...

This article it written by someone who is either woefully uninformed or
willfully deceiving.

Much publicity and openness surrounded the whole merging of the Fedora
Project with the Red Hat personal Linux.  While "Red Hat does not plan to
release another product in the Red Hat Linux line", they will be working
with Fedora to essentially rebrand their personal product as Fedora Linux.

No quotes from Red Hat in this article contradict that.  In fact, they NEED
to have a hand in a freely-distributed version of Linux, because that is
essentially the beta release for their enterprise products.  They give it
to Mikey, see if he likes it, and after it's mature they sell it for money.

Having said that, the personal edition is what matters to me, and clearly
their commitment to it has greatly diminished.  If they're desupporting
amost all releases within two months, and the last remaining one a few
months after that, there's not much incentive to use it even if it's free,
eh?  No more official updates and security patches?  No thanks.

Wait a minute.  Did I talk about this and forshadow it a few weeks ago on
this very list?  Why, Yes!  Will I say "I told you so".  Most assuredly.

--
DDDD
DK KD  An optimist thinks the glass is half full.