postfix redux

[Sending a partial response back to the list, since
 I think I'm 80% of the way to a solution here...]

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 gbburkhardt at aaahawk.com wrote:

> There are too many possibilites now, given your last note.  It really
> sounds like it doesn't understand your interface.

Yeah, I'm starting to think you're right.

I sent a longer, more detailed description of the situation to the Postfix
list a little while ago. It's available in their archives here:

    <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=106755364314190&w=2>

In a nutshell, I realized that I'm able to send mail locally, e.g. with

    $ echo "blah blah blah" | mail cdevers

and the mail makes it to me, and the Postfix log reflects this:

  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost postfix/pickup[5391]: A0EC5B88A61: uid=0 from=<root>
  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost postfix/cleanup[5392]: A0EC5B88A61: message-id=<20031031013507.A0EC5B88A61 at devers.homeip.net>
  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost postfix/qmgr[5110]: A0EC5B88A61: from=<root at devers.homeip.net>, size=317, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost spamd[565]: connection from localhost [127.0.0.1] at port 50675
  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost spamd[5398]: info: setuid to cdevers succeeded
  Oct 30 20:35:07 localhost spamd[5398]: processing message <20031031013507.A0EC5B88A61 at devers.homeip.net> for cdevers:501.
  Oct 30 20:35:08 localhost spamd[5398]: clean message (-0.6/6.5) for cdevers:501 in 1.0 seconds, 465 bytes.
  Oct 30 20:35:09 localhost postfix/local[5394]: A0EC5B88A61: to=<cdevers at devers.homeip.net>, orig_to=<cdevers>, relay=local, delay=2, status=sent ("|/usr/bin/procmail")

    <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=106755823418950&w=2>

So I did:

    <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=106756060421076&w=2>

So I edited /etc/postfix/master.cf, uncommenting the following line:

    smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

And now I can get a bit farther than previously:

    $ portscan localhost 24 26
    Port Scanning host: 127.0.0.1

         Open Port:     25              smtp
    $ telnet localhost 25
    Trying ::1...
    telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 devers.homeip.net ESMTP Postfix
    HELO localhost
    250 devers.homeip.net
    QUIT
    221 Bye
    Connection closed by foreign host.

But I still can't get in from outside. Trying from a remote host, I get:

    $ telnet devers.homeip.net 25
    Trying 68.163.211.175...
    $

So it looks like the fix may be in /etc/postfix/master.cf, I just have to
figure out which line[s] will enable an external, inbound connection.

> I don't think postfix can find interfaces if they don't exist when you
> start it.  They have to be manually configured.  What is your connection
> to the Internet?  Is the IP address for your machine dynamic?

Yeah -- PPPoE, dynamic IP address, hostname set via a dyndns.org account.
Where a host name or domain is asked for in the config, I use the dyndns
name since, obviously, any IP address is going to be transient.

So, I think the problem has been focused somewhat now...

--
Chris Devers