Suspend, and Heat

When I close the lid on my laptop, it does not go into any sort of suspend
mode.  I'd like to change this, but can live without it.  Except for the
fact that when I open the case, the thing is noticeably hot. I can only
assume that's because it's been running for hours in that state.

Thoughts, suggestions?  Concern?

Duane