LG CD-ROMs Destroyed by Mandrake 9.2

Poor Mandrake - they really got caught holding the bleeding edge this time.
They grabbed the most recent drivers from kernel.org, and got burned.

It's really a problem with Microsoft.  They have gotten manufacturers used to
not having to follow standards.  If they supply a Windows driver that works
with their hardware, or it works with an idosyncratic Microsoft driver,
they're done.  This isn't the first time Linux has had problems with CDROMs.
Remember all the trouble with CDROMs in the early days?  We always had to
put 'hdc=cdrom' in the boot params.

Here's a link to Mandrake's latest errata:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3