cross version development

I've never done it on linux, but I did do this on VMS.  What we did
was to run the latest versions of an OS, but for each OS version (as we
upgraded) we made a directory for the system libraries (shared
libraries) that we linked against.
You can get this list be looking at the map files.  Then
when we built the product we redirected the build (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to
link against these older libraries first.  Voila - we developed on the
latest OS, but
built against the older OS.   We did eventually test on earlier
versions before
shipping, but we never had a problem due to this.

As release engineer it was my job to keep track of the library
dependencies.
If a new dependency appeared, then I would determine whether or not that
library existed in the oldest OS version we intended to support and
what the version was.
If it didn't then I'd talk to the developer and development manager to
understand the
impact of this.   So I would keep something like the output from the
ldd command
under source code control and regenerate it as part of the build.

Hope this helps,
Gail