cross version development

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 16:38, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> > I would think you would be better doing your development against
> > the older libraries and then test that it works linked to the
> > newer ones.  You would be less likely to use something that isn't
> > there in the other library.
>
> That probably works - but then I'd at least need to keep an old system around
> for final builds.  I'd prefer to have the latest stuff on the desktop I'm
> using...

Hi folks,

For developing and testing user-space applications (not kernel-specific
code), you can actually have multiple "Linux distros" installed on a
single system and then use them *simultaneously* (without rebooting!) to
do builds and run tests.  Its a very cool chroot trick that I learned
from the folks developing OpenNMS.

For details, see:

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Distro-Dev/index.html

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com