Distro comparison

>No, that's not my problem.  My problem is that there is no technical reason
>for Red Hat 7.3 to be incompatible with KDE 3.1.*, yet neither Red Hat or
>KDE provide that upgrade path for political reasons.  I should be able to
>run my 7.3 system and upgrade whatever parts are still compatible with my
>kernel.  If there was an incompatibility due to a kernel change causing
>binary incompatibiliy, I fully expect to have to upgrade my OS.

Although I agree with you I think the support for that would be impossible
to keep track of.  I don't think many OSs handle upgrades well, perhaps you
should look away from "commercial" products.  It sound as if Debians
upgrade path may be the best for you.  Another OS I am found of is
OpenBSD.  Its not as fast as Linux, but it does a good job, and as long as
I'm not dumb its pretty bulletproof.  In fact in the next few weeks I'm
going to migrate from Solaris to it.

Seems that your asking alot from a commercial firm - maybe I expect to little.

Who knows...
Anthony