cross version development

I would think you would be better doing your development against
the older libraries and then test that it works linked to the
newer ones.  You would be less likely to use something that isn't
there in the other library.

I think the linking should just work, shouldn't it?  Have you
tried anything yet?  The linker name ld puts in the executable
header doesn't include the version number, unless you force it to.
Take a look at ldd on ls (I'm on a debian system)...

$ldd ls
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x0ffce000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe75000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0fe04000)
        /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

/lib/libc.so.6 is a symlink to libc-2.3.2.so on my system.  For you
it will be a symlink to the 2.2 on the old system and 2.3 on the
new system.  The other libraries may be a little tougher, I don't know.
What's this libstdc?  Do you mean the C++ library?

You may want to take a glance at this howto...

http://www.dwheeler.com/program-library/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html