Distro comparison

Derek Martin wrote:
> Uh, I seem to recall that all 2.2 kernels prior to the current release
> had serious security holes ...[one of] which allowed a root
> compromise to local users.  If you allow your users to log in
> to the server with a shell, I would consider that a problem.

The system is a file server, no shell usage except for my own admin access.

Back to the topic at hand:  Suse is my preferred distro these days, but for
managing complex services, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference
between them.  You wind up having to install a whole bunch of add-on software
anyway.

I tend to download, compile and install from source kits rather than rpm's,
mainly because that's the habit I got into before there were any rpm's.

-rich