Distro comparison

Did you look at debian?  I used gentoo for a little while and went
back to debian.  What they call stable is pretty old, but there are
ways of mixing mature and immature packages so you can get a good recent
version of something like gnome without using beta quality software
across the board.  There are also ways to get the source for
packages and compile them yourself if you choose.  The package
maintainers do more for you with the config files than the
gentoo people do.  And of course they aren't going to disappear
anytime soon.

--
Mike Small
smallm at panix.com