X starts denying me access

> 1) If you're using KDE, try K menu -> Run Command ... -> /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost
> > /tmp/debug

Not using KDE, using Gnome.  But attempting xhost > debug from the command
line just throws its output to stderr.

> 2) Switch to another virtual term and cat the file.  You should get a listing
> of what hosts are allowed to connect to your box; most folks will see a
> single line saying 'access control enabled, only authorized clients can
> connect'

n/a since I couldn't get the output

> 3) What's your login shell listed as in /etc/passwd?  Is it also listed in
> /etc/shells?  Have you changed your default login shell recently?

/bin/bash.  yes.  no.

> 4) What's the value of the DISPLAY env variable in your default shell?

:0.0

As I mentioned, this has been working fine for a few hours.  So I suspect
that it has less to do with my configuration and more to do with something
that happened to my X server or something.  Is it possible, for example,
that some sort of resource (buffers?  window handles?) has been exhausted?
Could it have anything to do with my network connection, which I've been
playing with as I shuttle between home (wireless dhcp) and work (static
ip)?

Duane