Last(?) network config question

ok, i'm getting somewhere on this new machine.  I have a 2.4.22 kernel
built and running and am working with the wlan-ng driver that seems to be
functioning properly.   I've run for over a day now with no transmission
errors.

Now the silly question.  I've apparently strayed far enough from
redhat-config-network that it doesn't want to work for me, so I'm setting
up my stuff by hand.  I have a wlan0 device working now after doing
the appropriate "iwconfig" and "route" commands on it.  What I'm trying
to recall is how to tie this into the standard ifup/ifdown scripts that
I'm familiar with, and preferably get it to boot automatically at
startup time.

Suggestions?  Is there a howto I can look at?

Thanks!

Duane