Intermittent wireless

Ok, I thought I had this but maybe not.  Got a Netgear MA401 wireless
pcmcia card that used to work fine on my thinkpad with mandrake 8.

Now I've got it recognized and setup as an orinoco/prism2 based card and
it works (the fact that I'm ssh'd into my other machine from my laptop
proves it :)).  However it doesnt seem to work consistently.  What I mean
by that is if I'm downloading something it'll just hang, and then suddenly
I'll have a bunch of "no route to host" and ifconfig will show me that I'm
throwing errors like mad.  But i do an ifdown and ifup, and I'm
back...temporarily.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the strength of the wireless
signal, as it happens when I'm not even moving.

Suggestions?  What's it mean when it works, but not well?  Is the
orinoco/prism driver not the best one?  I dont have a full kernel source
tree loaded so I'm leery of anything that starts out with building a new
module...;)

Duane