Redhat on Dell5150

Duane Morin wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, John McKendry wrote:
> >  You should be able to do better. According to Google, what you've got in there
> > is an ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility with 64 meg. It needs XFree86 4.3, which you should
> > already have if you're using Red Hat 9. I found this specific advice on X configuration
> > at http://www.lexip.ch/files/inspiron5150.html#2 :
>
> Apparently what I've got is:
>
> 32MB nVidia Quadro FX Go5200, for Inspiron 5150
>
> They must have changed it.  Is this a lousy card? :(
>
> Duane

 Ah. OK, how about this from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/98572 :

" The onboard nvidia modules in XFree86 4.3.0 aren't even capable of displaying on
an FX5200 yet. XFree work on the Nvidia cards has more or less stopped since the drivers
directly from Nvidia are so much better:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_...y_ia32_1.0-4496

They're easily installed from the command line. "

 This in reply to a question about "RH9.0 on Dell Inspiron 5150" posted 10 Sept 03, so
presumably the same card as yours. I doubt it's a lousy card. nVidia is not in the
business of making lousy cards. If it's newer than the Radeon 9000 it's probably
better.

John