How hard is tv instead of monitor connection?

My old laptop hasn't got tv out, but it's got a port for connecting an
external monitor.  Is it possible at all that a single device/cable exists
that would enable me to pipe output to my tv?  If this was a full
workstation I could probably add a video card that'd do it but my options
are limited with the laptop.

I'm trying to think of things to do with the old laptop, and one idea was
to use its wireless connection to create something like tivo's new option
of displaying personal slide shows.  Except that if i can do it with my
own machine I dont have to pay Tivo and I can display whatever I want
(news, traffic, weather, email...) I don't want to get into hacking my
Tivo, in case anybody's gonna suggest that :).

Duane