New to Linux

Hi. I'm rather new to Linux and have just found the group. Being a Linux
newbie, I've run into a couple of issues, one of which has me a bit stumped
I just switched from Slackware to Redhat and it seems quit different, I
can't run grep, and a number of other commands that I never had a problem
running under slackware. is there something about Redhat that I'm missing
entirely? In one case I was trying to run chkconfig, and was in fact looking
at it, and it told me "file not found" this was done as a SU. I'm feeling a
bit silly as I'm sure I'm missing the nose in front of my face on this.
well. any help would be much appreciated as I learn my way around the
system! Thanks!

-Alaric