Fwd: Updated Fedora Core test release: Severn

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, David Kramer wrote:

> This was a press release from Red Hat.
>
> I'm getting very worried about this whole Fedora thing.  It almost sounds
> like Red Hat is divorcing themselfes from any non-enterprise products.
> they're sort of throwing the build of future releases to the wind.
>
> As I've said, I need to upgrade my Red Hat 7.3 server soon, since there's so
> many things that I want that reqire later glibc/KDE/Gnome.  I was thinking
> of waiting till Red Hat 10 and going with that, but this whole Fedora thing
> makes me think they are not as serious about the low-end systems they used
> to champion anymore.
>
> Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
>
> See http://www.fedora.us/
> See http://fedora.redhat.com/

Redhat is definitely lowering the priority of their free distribution
in favor of of their advanced server, but from what I've seen they're not
giving up on the base distribution entirely.  In fact, they seem to be
using the free distribution as a test ground for the advanced server.

Their announcement for the initial beta for the next release talked about
trying to get the community more involved in the release process.  Since
Fedora was basically community packaging support for Redhat, the merger
seems to make sense to me.

Politics aside, beta1 was quite nice.  It seemed a lot faster than Redhat
8 and 9 were.  I'm planning on doing an install of beta2 when I get home
tonight.

--
Greg Boyce