iPermitMail Email Firewall

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 14:31, Rich Braun wrote:

> The ipermitmail offender is still on the BLU list.  Any BLU submitters who
> aren't yet on ipermitmail's whitelist are still getting those annoying
> challenge-response messages.
>
> Other than blackholing ipermitmail's mx receivers from the BLU server, I don't
> have any ideas on how to stamp this problem out.  (Obviously whoever's using
> ipermitmail is not getting BLU postings anymore, so he/she remains oblivious
> to our complaints, or if they are aware, they have chosen not to discontinue
> using ipermitmail for the BLU subscription.)
>
> Perhaps BLU should post a policy on the mailing-list page asking that new
> subscribers double-check their email address to make sure it does not have
> challenge-response spam checking software enabled.
>
> I suppose another idea would be to write a script that extracts the domain
> portion of each of the current BLU subscribers and does a 'dig' for the MX
> records.  The output could then be grep'ed for ipermitmail.com or ilap.com to
> hopefully find the offending address.

I just did the only thing I could think of to address the problem:
I fed the discuss list to a script that sent a message individually
to each address, with the address included in the message subject
and body. The message is addressed as coming from discuss-admin at blu.org.

The offending address should bounce the message, and I'll then be
able to identify and unsubscribe it. Unfortunately, it also means
that everyone else will receive an annoying test message. Sorry for
the annoyance, but I felt it was necessary to fix the problem.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9