ipermitmail

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net>

PLEASE READ THIS: If you are using the "ipermitmail" service,
please whitelist any mail coming from the blu.org server. The
ipermitmail service is sending "challenge" emails to anyone
who posts to discuss at blu.org. Thank you.

> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote on Friday:
> > > I gave the source to the abuse address at ipermitmail.com.
> > No. I think the problem has been corrected.
>
> Jerry--
>

> The ipermitmail offender is still on the BLU list.  Any BLU
> submitters who aren't yet on ipermitmail's whitelist are still
> getting those annoying challenge-response messages.

> Other than blackholing ipermitmail's mx receivers from the BLU
> server, I don't have any ideas on how to stamp this problem out.

Since these screening services depend on customers from major ISPs,
they don't use MX records. It's a client-side solution, with email
forwarded ** FROM THE RECIPIENT ** to their server, and the
ipermitmail server sending "approved" mail back, stamped "OK". The
clients install an application that automagically forwards all
incoming mail to ipermitmail, unless it's got the "OK"stamp.

> (Obviously whoever's using ipermitmail is not getting BLU postings
> anymore, so he/she remains oblivious to our complaints, or if they
> are aware, they have chosen not to discontinue using ipermitmail for
> the BLU subscription.)

[snip]

Good point. I'm going to sign up with a spamtrap address, post to the
blu, and then click on the challenge URL they send. It'll be
interesting to find out what emails they send out afterwards.

Bill Horne