Rebuilding

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Cole Tuininga wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 23:02, matt galster wrote:
> > Thanks, Mark.
> >
> > I'd noticed that the SuSE version was put up without support because SuSE
> > people wanted one for themselves.  I guess that settles SuSE.  I guess now
> > I'll need to decide about gentoo as well.  Anyone have a feel for the
> > maturity of that dist?  It isn't like RH or SuSE with a pedigree, AFAIK.
>
> I have a coworker who has been playing with gentoo as of late.  He likes
> the fact that the software has a tendency to be cutting/bleeding edge,
> and he likes to feel as though he's getting more speed out of everything
> because it's compiled specifically for his setup.  Truth be told none of
> us can really see a difference.
>
> I will say that the maturity seems lacking to a minor extent.  I played
> with it briefly and had the package mechanism (called "emerge") barf on
> me a little bit.  Admittedly, that could have been my fault.

Gentoo is great if you're looking to play with the latest and greatest.  I
generally reinstall Gentoo when there's a major release of something
that won't make it into a stable release anytime soon.  Last time it was
the release of Gnome 2.

Eventually I miss the testing of a distribution that goes through actual
QA, and switch back to Redhat or Debian though.

Their live CDs are a bit more convenient for testing like that though.