unable to locate gpg executable path

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, eric wrote:

> i get this also;
>
>   C:\Documents and Settings\eric>gpg --version
>   'gpg' is not recongnized as an internal or external command,
>   operable program or batch file.
>
> is there a good explanation of how to use path environment variables for
> win and linux online?  thanks again.  ericl

I believe there's a way to get at the environment variables from the
command prompt, but I don't think changes there are persistent across
reboots. For better or worse, the easiest way to do it is through the GUI.
And to do it through the GUI, you have to find a way to open up the main
system control panel.

On NT4 & 2k, this was accessible by right-clicking on "My Computer"  on
the desktop, or by the system panel in the control panel; on XP they made
everything "easier", and you'll have to dig more to find it -- it's still
under the control panel (though I forget which category), and there's
still a way to get at "My Computer" (e.g. the left-hand tree view in
Windows Explorer), but generally they've tried very hard to hide this.

Anyway, once you get the system control panel open, one of the tabs is for
Environment. This will show you existing environment variables, and will
also allow you to set new ones.

You should be able to either [a] add the directory where GPG is installed
to your PATH variable, or [b] move GPG to one of the available
directories.

On the other hand, you may find it all easier to install Cygwin. This will
provide you with a semi-standard Unix-ish environment, including a Bash
shell where you can set things like your path with standard dot files in
your home directory. I think that Cygwin even provides a version of GPG,
but am not positive about that at the moment (as I am not, obviously,
typing this from a Windows machine :).

Let the list know if this helps, or if you have more questions.

--
Chris Devers