my X11 just got hosed

My laptop's battery just died, and when I rebooted it, XFree86 no longer
worked.  I was not in the middle of configuring XFree86, or anything
like that.  It's been the same stupid configuration for ages.

Here's the tail of my XFree86.0.log:

(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
	RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
	RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
	Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
	Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
	GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
	GeForce3 (rev 3)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Is there a lock file or something left laying around?  If there is, I
can't find it.  I moved a couple of hidden directories in /tmp that were
obviously related, but that didn't help.

I know the video card still works, because I can boot into that other
OS, and everything is fine.  Or was fine, until I let Windows Update
update my Orinoco driver, and now the damn thing doesn't work.

To top it off, I'm also coming down with the flu.  A few hours ago my
computer and I felt fine.  It's kind of disturbing that we're getting
sick together.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\