Linux course and NEU (eg. Northeastern)

Jerry Feldman wrote:
>I'd love to be able to install in the classroom.

I suggest you hand out Knoppix CDROMs and have everyone boot from
them.

 - They can run it most anywhere, regardless of their installation
   skills.  E.g. they can use it for homework even before your lessons
   on installation.
 - You sometimes need access to a working Linux system to get Linux
   installed somewhere else (e.g. to compile a custom kernel).
   Knoppix can be the working system.
 - I think there's a way to use the Knoppix CDROM to start a Debian
   installation.
 - When configuring some difficult piece of hardware (particularly the
   display under X), it can help to boot Knoppix and see what its
   auto-configuration did.
 - It's a good rescue disk.

Of course, you need to try it on the classroom machines before hand.
At one time I think it wouldn't handle a USB keyboard.

       - Jim Van Zandt