Backup--quick, cheap, good/fast, pick all 3

On Saturday 06 September 2003 06:55 am, paulc wrote:
> David Kramer said:
>
> "in addition to certain whitelisted directories and file
> extensions,"
>
> please tell me more about these ...

At the top of the program is a definition for $IncludeVars, $IncludeFiles,
$ExcludeDirs, and $ExcludeFIles.  These are regular expressions to match
those categories, and they are all like "(foo|bar|baz)" so there are a
bunch of possible matches "or"ed together.

For instance, my $ExcludeDirs looks like:
$ExcludeDirs="backup|home|cache|cdbuild|charsets|CORBA|/dev/|dload|include|imap|iso|j2sdk[0-9\_\-]*|jakarta|javadoc|lib/perl|kernel|libexec|lost+found|man|mnt|n
etscape|.netscape|.mozilla|ns_imap|nsmail|opt|proc|spool|terminfo|texmf|themes|tmp|usr/doc|usr/java|usr/lib|usr/share|usr/src|var/cache|var/spool|web|X11R6|rc.[
0-9].d";

and is used to exclude from automatic inclusion files that I know will not
change, don't need to be backed up, or will be backed up separately (like
/home/, which I back up more frequently using a different procedure).

The following lines of code from the code fragment in by last email enforce
the whitelist and blacklist:

> > 	if($Source =~ /(\/($IncludeDirs)\/)/ || $Source =~ /($IncludeFiles)/)

and

> > 	elsif($Source !~ /(\/($ExcludeDirs)\/)/ && $Source !~
> > /($ExcludeFiles)/) {

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "Questions are a burden to others,
DK KD  Answers a prison for oneself."
DDDD                                                           -The Prisoner