Build your own? Suse 8.2 w/MSI Athlon 2600+

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Martin" <invalid at pizzashack.org>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 2:16 AM

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 03:35:28PM -0400, Bill Horne wrote:

> > - Open the case.
>
> ... and attach your anti-static strap to the power supply ...

> This is /always/ good advice; but today's parts are much more
> static-resistant than they once were...  I've been building and
> re-building systems for about 5 years now (prior to that I only bought
> new pre-built systems), and I have never used an anti-static device,
> and never suffered loss for lack of one.  Most people I know who do
> this for a living rarely, if ever, bother with one these days.  Which
> isn't to say that you shouldn't; nor will I buy you a new system if
> yours blows up because you didn't.  ;-)

Yeah, I usually don't bother myself: but then again, I've been doing it for
years, too. I'm in the habit of holding the board in one hand and the case
in the other, and I *never* touch the contacts or solder side, and it's
summer, with lots of humidity in the air. Since the person who asked for
advice had never done it, I took the conservative view.

And, professionals usually have the luxury of standing on anti-static mats
when they're at work, and of properly grounded work surfaces. Home users
aren't so equipped ...

In any case, we're talking about changing boards in "old" computers, some of
which were made before Schottky diodes became common. New user, old tech: I
say "Err on the side of caution".

HTH. YMMV.

Bill