Can RedHat 7.3 support Sony CD-R/RW CRX225A-U?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:19:16AM -0400, I.M.Walberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My CD drive recently stopped functioning and I popped in a new SONY
> CD-R/RW drive (ATAPI/EIDE).  It reads CDs just fine.  My concern is
> whether I will be able to write to it.

To write to CDR/CDRWs, you either need to make them appear to be
SCSI devices (using the ide-scsi driver) or use the options found
in recent cdrecord implementations to talk to ATAPI devices.

The first is done by adding an option to your boot line in your lilo or
grub configuration that looks something like this:

  hdc=ide-scsi

(where hdc is replaced by whatever your drive is called). You probably need
to have the ide-scsi driver built into the kernel for this.

The second is done, if you've got a reasonably recent cdrecord, by
using its notation for talking to ATAPI devices. For example:

  cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATAPI:
  cdrecord ... dev=ATAPI:1,0,0

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net