Build your own? Suse 8.2 w/MSI Athlon 2600+

> I thought it came with Postfix? Did you actually install sendmail
> instead? If so, why?

The default Suse installation is postfix.  I was migrating my existing apps
over, so that's why I had a sendmail 8.12.9 configuration.  (Amid the task of
migrating dozens of apps is not the time you want to try to figure out a whole
new MTA package.)  I fetched a sendmail rc script from Suse's rpm kit (it's
8.12.7), and didn't notice the myriad command line options buried in the
sysconfig directory until later.

Next time a CERT advisory comes out about sendmail, I think I'll get serious
about switching.

> Ever used Debian, or a FreeBSD ports system?

It's been years since I used a Debian system so I can't recall the
differences.  FreeBSD distributions way back when I used them were essentially
the familiar BSD setup; Linux came more from a SysV-ish background.  I got
used to both.  One of my FreeBSD setups was the core of a dialup terminal
server, picture a 48-port Livingston clone with a 486 in the middle.  Both
Linux and FreeBSD served that role equally reliably.  Along the way, Linux
caught more media buzz, and is now the more-popular system.

-rich