Build your own? Suse 8.2 w/MSI Athlon 2600+

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 07:49:23PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> - The system comes up in a KDE environment within something like 10 minutes
> after you get the floppy-based yast2 installation going.  Out of the box you
> get postfix and sshd, and not much else in the way of networking:  expect to
> do a lot of tweaks to activate network services.  Software distributors have
> learned over the years to shut basically everything off by default; users have
> to consciously choose to turn things on.

Speaking for sysadmins, network engineers and security folks everywhere:
Great! Wonderful! Excellent!

> - Watch out for paranoid network settings.  For example, the sendmail startup
> script contains command-line parameters which, among other things, refuse
> remote connections.  I had everything working locally for hours before I
> noticed that no mail was coming in.  You actually have to digging through
> those dozens of files in /etc/sysconfig to make sure they do what you want.

I thought it came with Postfix? Did you actually install sendmail
instead? If so, why?

> - I have a long list of downloaded software which needed to be rebuilt on the
> new configuration.  Some of the Suse rpm's were out of date, unavailable, or
> built with different compile-time options.  I don't have a complete list but
> here are some of the packages I had to build or download:  apache, curl,
> dcc-dccd, imapd, mysql, openssl, php, python, pyzor, razor2, samhain,
> sendmail, squirrelmail, spamassassin, elm, phpmyadmin, gotmail, plus a few
> cpan things to support spamassassin.  I might need to rebuild amanda, haven't
> tested it yet.

Ever used Debian, or a FreeBSD ports system?

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / sysadmin available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr