invalid@pizzashack.org

----- Original Message -----
From: <dsr at tao.merseine.nu>

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 09:01:55AM -0700, www.eloder.com wrote:
>
> > hello big dogs. this is for derek martin. sir, how do YOU mail from an
> > invalid email address? a general pointer or two would be a chance for
> > me to learn. thank you. <this list is great adult education>
>
> Oh, mailing from an invalid address is easy: just tell your mail
> software to use an address that ends in .invalid, for example.

[snip]

I think this requires you to have the ability to sign up with a valid
address which you can then revoke: you'd need to set the "nomail" option in
Mailman in order to keep the address "valid" for Mailman, since mailman (or
the overworked and underpaid list administrators ;-J) would revoke an
address that bounced mail. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The best solution, IMHO, is to modify the Mailman code so that all addresses
are shown in "human-readable-only" form, with the list's return address.

BTW, it's possible to encode email address which *must* be public, such as
those on r)B?sum?s, so that they still show properly in a browser (and create
proper To: fields in mail when someone clicks on them), but are gibberish to
spambots trying to harvest them. Let me know if you'd like details, or visit
http://billhorne.com and look at the html source of my r)B?sum? to get a look
for yourself.

Bill