Need help with an old networked printer

arp is your friend.  run tcpdump, you'll probably see it.  If you know the mac address of the nic in it already.  you can run 'arping' against it.  Unfortunately, the arping included in the standard linux utilities wont help you that much.  The way it works is it pings a ip address and returns the mac address.  What you want is the arping that allows you to ping the macaddress and get the ip address.  You can find it at:

http://www.habets.pp.se/synscan/programs.php

This will atleast let you find the ip, if its set.  Many printer nic's seem to have a telnet server that allows you to configure it.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.

-miah