crypt and passwords

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:46:16AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I wrote a C++ program to create a password file for the web sites using
> crypt. It uses the user ids and passwords from mailman. Only a few lines
> of code.

Yes, but were you trying to use MD5 salts?  Were you using crypt()
from glibc or from OpenSSL?  Were you using Red Hat 7.3 (i.e. the same
version of glibc David is using)?  Individual results aren't
necessarily meaningful, unless they duplicate the scenario under which
David's code is being compiled...

We all know about the crypto export issues, and various distros regard
their crypto export differently.  Suse, based in Germany, has no
particular need to be concerned with US export regulations.  Red Hat,
OTOH, does.  Red Hat still, for example, does not provide the tools
necessary to support encrypted loopback filesystems, even though their
kernel does have (one of the possible) needed crypto APIs.  My RH9
systems all have libcrypt from glibc, but in the days of RH7.3, they
may have been shipping glibc with libcrypt disabled...

Red Hat has a tendency to do that anyway, because they don't feel like
supporting a particular component.  For example, with recent changes
to groff, xman is now broken.  Red Hat's solution: "xman is no longer
supported, and will be disabled in future builds of XFree86 for Red
Hat systems."  Sigh.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/