Worm bait?

> None of the specifics you give here conflict with the general definition
> I gave above.  In fact your first line is a simple re-statement of
> exactly what I said. Your merely describe more of what "might" be done by a
> trojan or how a trojan might be created.  Backdoors are another function
> frequently generated by worms/virii.

Your definition implied that a trojan horse must also be a virus or worm.
I do not believe that is correct.  Both viruses and worms try to propagate
themselves, trojans do not have to.  I also do not believe that they require
an attempt at escalating privileged, as others have claimed, or that
they necessarily are trying to trick privileged users.

> When/if that happens, malware producers will return to
> using the more subtle methods pioneered for attacks on UNIX-Like systems,

I do not think malware developers that can use such techniques ever stopped.
Those that can or will not learn (or, at least, haven't yet) to use such
techniques develop email and macro malware.  And each step down the IQ
food chain in an order of magnitude larger....

Hunter