Worm bait?

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 07:55:39PM -0400, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> I received a email from a postfix mailer that tells me the message I
> sent bounced. All well and good, except I didn't send the message to
> begin with. Also, it says it was sent from my old attbi.com address
> (correct user name, tho) which I haven't used in a few months.
>
> I'm running my Evolution as my mail client, if that matters.
>
> I'm concerned that someone may have gotten access to the attbi account
> and is sending mail as me.
>
> Things I should do to investigate?

Check your mail log file and see what IP it really came from.
Make sure that IP is reflected accurately in the mail headers inside the
email.

Follow the headers backwards - see if the email came from attbi - nee
comcast.

Send an email to your attbi account and see if it arrives at your
comcast account and compare the header info.

If these things don't add up - call comcast and see what they can tell
you.

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.