Corporate Anti-Virus strategies

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:41:38PM -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> These days, the Linux situation has changed in two big ways:
>
>   1) By default, most current Linux distributions are quite
>      secure.
>
>   2) Essentially all updates can be automated so that
>      they require little or no manual attention by trained
>      admins.

I would also add a third point:

People take their security more seriously now. Security wasn't even a
subject of discussion for the average ISP user a few years ago; now
everyone is at least talking about anti-virus systems, anti-spam
systems, firewalls, VPNs, and so forth.

This is more important than it may initially seem: security needs
action, and action isn't taken without discussion. If your average user
has never thought about security, it's much harder to convince him to
close a hole.

Now we have people thinking and talking about security... so we have a
chance of getting them to do something about it.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / Sysadmin / Pre-Sales available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr