Corporate Anti-Virus strategies

On 15 Aug 2003, Seth Gordon wrote:
> Ah, but why should the typical user believe that this hippie operating
> system that was patched together by a bunch of volunteers is more
> virus-proof than a product of a multi-million-dollar corporation?

If somebody is already dead set against Linux, then chances are they have
enough information to shoot themselves in the foot.  I don't often bother
with these people.  If they're dead set against Linux, then I wish them
well with their viruses and move on.

I'm thinking instead about the audience of people who probably don't even
know that Linux exists.  To these people you point out "Notice how all the
reports say "This virus affects Windows computers"?  You're running
Windows.  Did you know you don't have to be?"  Naturally they're going to
ask what they lose by not running Windows, and we Linux groupies have to
be honest in answering.  Can my kids play all their games?  No.  Can I run
Microsoft Word?  No (but close!).  Can I get email, surf the web, get the
pictures out of my digital camera and send them to grandma?  Absolutely.

I've always thought the best sales pitch for Linux would be an easy
install, preferably something that did not require things like
repartitioning disks or any of that nonsense.  Gie somebody a CD, ask them
to try it out.  If they don't like it, throw away the CD, no harm no foul.
That's what hooked all those AOL people. :)

Duane