adding language support to red hat?

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:59:07AM -0400, Greg Galperin wrote:
> Quick question: we need support for other languages in an installation
> of red hat 9.0, and it appears to have been installed with only
> English.

Depending on what you need to do, you may find that it's not as easy
as simply installing support for a given language...

> The manual says that if you pick only one language during
> the install process it doesn't set up multi-language support.  Does
> anyone know how to add other languages to our already running image?

You might be able to do this by installing the anaconda package, and
re-running the installer (which is anaconda).  This probably only will
install language support files (locales, man pages, etc.) and probably
will not install packages needed for input of characters in some
languages, such as for example kterm, hanterm, canna, ami, etc.
you'll need to figure those out and install them on your own.

It is probably substantially easier to re-install the system.

But you should also be aware that if you have users who hope to
/simultaneously/ use, say, a European language (such as German, for
example), and an Asian language, getting that to work properly is
painful, and beyond the scope of what Red Hat provides.  Though, at
least as far as E-mail and web browsing go, Mozilla seems to
be able to handle this without too much pain, regardless of what Red
Hat provides.  [Red Hat, for example, fails to provide an ncurses
library which handles wide characters -- a necessity when dealing with
UTF-8 or most non-European character sets, or so I understand...]

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/