video player

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 08:09, eric wrote:

> Help!  I want to watch the kernel movie one of you posted.  Is there a
> good quality video player that doesn't take a rocket scientist (or
> computer scientist) to install on redhat 8?  I googled and got mplayer,
> but I'm worried about screwing my system up when I saw all the
> complaints people had in various groups.  Thanks for any pointers.  (I'm
> considering changing my email to supernewb.)  eric.

Compiling mplayer is painful, it's true, but it's also not necessary.
There's a respository at

    http://freshrpms.net

that maintains prebuilt rpms for a whole bunch of extra software,
including mplayer. They've got sets for Redhat 8.0, Redhat 9,
and Yellowdog 3.0. They also provide an "apt" interface to rpm,
which automates dependency management so installing a package
will automatically install any other packages it depends on.

--
John Abreau / jabr at abreau.net / http://www.abreau.net
(PGP) D5C7B5D9 / (FP) 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99