spam control again

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
josephc at etards.net wrote:

> Disseminating child pornography, bribary, slander, and extortion are
> all illegal acts regardless of whether they are done over the Internet
> or in the "real world". Anti-spam laws would be laws specifically
> applied to the Internet and are in a different class.
Not true. They are only illegal acts when some government makes them
illegal. There may be some countries that allow child pornography.
Bribery is also not illegal in many parts of the world, and in some
places, expected.
But, the common types of crime are generally accepted worldwide as
crimes. But, if a person in Costa Rica extorts you, how are you going to
proscecute when there is no extradition treaty.

> I was a little too wordy in my last emails so I think I need to hone
> down my point a little better. My contention is the anti-spam laws are
> not required to help fight spam and we should put our efforts into
> furthering knowledge of existing, effective solutions.
I do agree with this. I think we already have methods available to us to
control SPAM. What is needed is a method where all senders of email must
provide some type of authentication. So, if company xyz sends out bulk
unsolicited mail following the standards, that email is not blocked, but
if Johnny Scriptkitty sends out some SPAM taht does not contain the
authentication, it can be blocked.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group