spam control again

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:03:47 -0400 (EDT)
> josephc at etards.net wrote:
>
> > We can throw out your reply right there. The US constitution should
> > have NO BEARING on the Internet. The Internet is more than the US, and
> > if we're going to start applying a country's laws to it, I think we
> > would be better served looking beyond our borders.
> This is very problematical. Yes, the Internet is global. But, there
> should be a set of rules that govern the Internet analogous to the
> international rules that govern the oceans.
> But, if the laws of the US (or the individual states) do not apply,
> period, then there can be no criminal acts on the Internet, but there
> also cannot be commerce.
>
> I think we need some form of reasonable international laws that deal
> with the Internet that law enforcement agencies can use to deal with
> things like credit card fraud, identity theft, and other "criminal"
> acts. The problem is in difining a "criminal" act. In some countries,
> just speaking one's mind is a criminal act. Or even the practicing of a
> religion other than the state religion is a criminal act. Or, in the US,
> just having some pictures of naked adult women that would be legal in
> most magazines could be made illegal.

Disseminating child pornography, bribary, slander, and extortion are all
illegal acts regardless of whether they are done over the Internet or in
the "real world". Anti-spam laws would be laws specifically applied to the
Internet and are in a different class.

I was a little too wordy in my last emails so I think I need to hone down
my point a little better. My contention is the anti-spam laws are not
required to help fight spam and we should put our efforts into furthering
knowledge of existing, effective solutions.

-joe