best new video cards for linux?

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 10:45, Bob Keyes wrote:

> I am at work at a biomedical research lab, and the video card on one of
> the machines crapped out. This is a machine that is dual boot linux /
> win98, a Dell Deminsion XPS B733 (733 mhz). The X windows has never been
> configured adequately, I believe it is some wierd compatibility problem.
> So I am looking for advice on a video card up to $100, that offers good
> resolution, 2D reasonable performnce, but doesn't need to be a great 3D
> card. It should have good accurate color though. It should be easy to get
> running in its high performance under redhat9 and work well with win98 as
> well (though I may try to get them to switch the windows side to win2k, as
> they have a spare license for it..win2k has always seemed like the least
> horrible MS-Windows product).

You'll probably be fine with the "value" video cards if you don't care
about the 3D stuff. On the Nvidia side, the GeForce2 MX should only cost
you ~$40. The newest "value" card is the GeForce 4MX and that is ~$60.

Remember that the MX = "value" for Nvidia. So, a GeForce 3TI > GeForce
4MX for 3D (thanks to some marketing puke at Nvidia).

The only problems that I've had with Nvidia cards on Linux (GeForce2,
2MX, 4MX, 3 Ti) was bad performance with Gnome w/Metacity on some of
post-3123 drivers. The newest driver doesn't have that problem though.

Steve