TMDA (was Re: best new video cards for linux?)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:44:55 -0400 (EDT)
Bob Keyes <bob at sinister.com> wrote:

> First, thanks for your response regarding the video cards.
>
> The question is, what is correct? A public response should go to the
> list, not me. The lists's email address is on my whitelist in TMDA.
> But the BLU mailing list software is configured to CC the list rather
> than be addressed to it. In my opinion, this is a mistake. In the
> mailing lists I run, using ezmlm, I have the reply-to: line sent on a
> message, with the address of the list. This makes it life easier in
> lots of ways.
>
> As far as the qmail features, yes I have thought about putting them
> in, but haven't had the time, I will endeavor to spend some more on
> it.
The list is set up to reply to the poster of the list by default. For
most listserv software, this is the default out of the box
configuration. The list owner can easily change that to set the from and
reply-to back to the list. This is a discussion that has been ongoing
for as long as we have been running listservs back at the old BCS
(probably 1992).
The intent of the current configuration is that the default reply goes
back to the poster to reduce list traffic. If one responds and wants to
respond to the list itself, then edit the To: line.

In my case, I have my directory set so when I reply to a message in this
folder, the reply goes back to the list.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group