Is RedHat 9 stable?

> > I upgraded from 7.3 and it was very much worth it.
>
> Though I have heard that under either GUI it runs MUCH slower.

Likely. So far, I am running it on my main 'work machine' (Laptop 1 GHz)
and it works fine, even if I use it in twinview with two monitors.

For servers, I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade from 7.3.
But for desktops, the difference is remarkable. Anti-aliased fonts
are a great thing once you see it ;-)

Overall, it is very slick. I briefly tried Suse 8.2 as it looked
like it supported some features I like out of the box (encrypted disks,
ipsec vpn). But it had big problems with other issues (fonts in
mozilla, evolution...)

I first hesitated to install Ximian Desktop on RH 9, as RH 9 looks
good out of the box. But after breaking down and giving it a try,
I am very happy with that too. If you spent all day in front of the
system, it makes a difference if it looks right.

Things missing in RH 9 (IMHO):
- crypto file system support in linux-utils (losetup)
- VPN support could be better.
- no easy way to switch between a laptops 'docked' and 'undocked'
  configuration.
- sniffing patch for Orinoco wireless cards is missing.

But other than that, it works great. It would just be nice to have
a distro where I don't have to compile my own kernel :-/

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com