h1b facts once again

Richard Strano said:
> This is not hate the foreiners.
> Our corporations are just plain greedy.
> Americans working abroad are not being used to undermine the
> pay structure of worker in those countries.
> Do you really believe that Americans are brought in to other countries for
> cheap labor?
> Do you really believe that these poor American companies can not find
> qualified programers?
> Give me a break.
> Rick

<delurking>

As a former dot.commer that remembers 90% of the developers working on h1b
visas i can empathisize with the feeling that "natives" don't get a fair
share in the job marketplace in corporate america. however, i have to
question the whole anti-h1b attitude. as long as folks continue to rely
for income on big corporations then folks are never going to get a fair
shake as employees. i have found being laid-off actually somewhat
liberating as i now do periodic contracts doing php programming having
freed myself of ASP and Microsoft in the corporate world, while spending
much time developing my own projects, mostly dealing with semantic web
services. perhaps, we should focus on developing services based on
non-corporate solutions, such as open source and free software
contributions. This is where all are equal because it is community driven.
It seems rather self-defeating to want to work for corporate america and
want to develop open source and free software. as one that is earning an
income from developing and coding open source e-commerce solutions i think
that is where the attention should be focused, to hell with the large
corporations and their hiring practices, let's work for ourselves, and
among ourselves include people from outside the borders. basically, all
american workers were screwed by NAFTA and will continue to be screwed
because business is driven by profit margins in the corporate world. will
linux provide a new way for workers to work for themselves and not have to
worry about hiring practices of large corporations? and if it does doesn't
the whole notion of native vs. non-native kinda lose it's meaning?

</delurking>

--salim
autonomous web developer